Bucks County Covered Bridges
Today I'm focusing on the Covered Bridges of Bucks County. You can tour them by car or bike. And when the leaves are changing, it's a beautiful trip. Margaret and I drove the route in October of 1990.
Pennsylvania has more covered bridges than any other state. There are 12 covered bridges remaining in Bucks County. The tours are planned so you can begin and end at any of the bridges and make a loop. Most start at the Memorial Building in Washington Crossing State Park.
The 12 bridges are:
1. Van Sant - built in 1875, 86 feet long
2. Loux - built in 1874, 60 feet long
3. Cabin Run - built in 1871, 82 feet long
Margaret at Cabin Run
4. Frankenfield - built in 1872, 130 feet long
5. Erwinna - built in 1832, 56 feet long, shortest covered bridge in Bucks County
6. Uhlerstown - built in 1832, 101 feet long, the only covered bridge to cross the Delaware Canal (This is closed during the winter months. It opens April 1 as a one-way road. All traffic must turn around and head back to River Road during the winter).
7. Knecht's - built in 1873, 110 feet long
8. Sheard's Mill - built in 1873, 130 feet long
9. Mood's - built in 1874, re-built in 2007 after it was destroyed by a fire in 2004, 130 feet long
10. South Perkasie - built in 1832 spanning Pleasant Spring Creek, moved to Lenape Park in Perkasie in 1959, 93 feet long
11. Pine Valley - built in 1842, 81 feet long
12. Schofield - built in 1873, burned down in 1991, rebuilt 6 years later, 150 feet long, the longest in Bucks County, open to equestrian and foot traffic only, crosses the Neshaminy Creek in Tyler State Park
And back to Van Sant
There's plenty of gorgeous scenery along the way.
Here are some links to more information, maps, and directions for planning your bridge tour:
Visit Bucks County Covered Bridge Tour - http://www.visitbuckscounty.com/things-to-do/driving-tours/covered-bridge/
Bucks County Covered Bridge Society - http://www.buckscountycbs.org/
Covered Bridges of Bucks County - http://www.scenicbuckscounty.com/CoveredBridges/CoveredBridges.html
Central Bucks Bicycle Club - Covered Bridge Ride - https://www.cbbikeclub.org/covered-bridges/covered-bridges-ride
David's Photographic Tour of Bucks County, Pennsylvania Covered Bridges - http://www.davidhanauer.com/buckscounty/coveredbridges/ - beautiful photos!!
And for more covered bridges in America, check out some of these links:
Pennsylvania Covered Bridges - http://www.pacoveredbridges.com/
America's Most Beautiful Covered Bridges - http://www.travelandleisure.com/slideshows/americas-most-beautiful-covered-bridges
New England's Covered Bridges - http://discovernewengland.org/things-do/new-englands-romantic-covered-bridges
Lancaster County Covered Bridges - http://www.discoverlancaster.com/activities/pa-covered-bridges.asp
Covered Bridges in Allentown, PA - http://www.visitpa.com/pa/allentown/attractions-activities/covered-bridges
US Covered Bridge Lists - http://www.dalejtravis.com/cblist/cblistus.htm
Covered Bridges of the Northeast USA - http://www.coveredbridgesite.com/
Covered Bridges of the Eastern United States - http://www.bridges-covered.com/
Covered Bridges of Oregon - http://www.eugenecascadescoast.org/covered-bridges/
Kentucky's Covered Bridges - http://www.hultgren.org/things/bridges/
If you have any additional links that you would like to share, send them in via the contact page or leave them in the comments!