Flashback Friday - Mount Vernon
Mount Vernon, Home of George Washington, near Washington, DC
We visited Mount Vernon on a trip to Washington, DC. It is, of course, the home of our nation's first President, George Washington.
George Washington Facts:
- George Washington was the first President of the United States of America
- George married Martha Dandridge Curtis when he was 26. She was a widow with 2 children, Jacky and Patsy. George and Martha did not have any children together.
- He was 6' 2" tall, one of our tallest Presidents
- Washington did not wear a wig, he just used powder to make it white.
- George was the only President unanimously elected by the Electoral College
- He didn't have a middle name.
- He was a master surveyor.
- He was a dog lover and kept many hunting hounds. He is the Father of the American Foxhound and had more than 30 dogs. On a side note, he stopped the Revolutionary War to return a lost dog to the enemy.
- He lost more battles than he won and was the only President to go into battle while serving as President.
- Because of all of his accomplishments, Washington will always be the highest ranking U.S. officer of all time, General of the Armies of the United States. A law was passed making sure no one will ever outrank him.
- Washington died in 1799 after his doctors removed 40 percent of his blood over a 12-hour period to try to cure a throat infection. Afterward, Napolean ordered 10 days of mourning in France. Britain's Royal Navy lowered its flags at half mast.
Links of Interest:
George Washington's Mount Vernon - http://www.mountvernon.org/
Twitter - https://twitter.com/MountVernon?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor
George Washington's Mount Vernon on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HistoricMountVernon/
Interesting Facts About George Washington's Mount Vernon - http://www.avivadirectory.com/trivia/270-interesting-facts-about-george-washingtons-mount-vernon/